This is a quick and simple recipe that tastes gorgeous. It also happens to be gluten free and vegan.
The other morning I felt like a cooked breakfast so I searched in my cupboards and fridge-freezer for something to cook up. I found frozen bacun, tinned beans, potatoes, onions,mushrooms, peppers and tofu. This was my first attempt at hash browns and they turned out super tasty!
Hash Browns with Grated Onion
● 2-3 medium white potatoes, grated (approx 450g)
● 1 medium white onion, grated
● 4tbsp gram flour (chickpea flour)
● 2tbsp soya/oat/rice milk
● 1tbsp vegetable oil
● Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a bowl add the grated potato & onion and mix.
2. Add in the gram flour and mix in the milk; adding a little at a time. You want the consistency to be thick and wet but not too sloppy.
3. Add in seasonings to taste.
4. Heat 1tbsp oil into a frying pan and shape 6 shapes from the mixture. Here it is handy to use a cooking circle; I used a round pastry cutter because I don’t have a cooking circle! I put the cookie cutter in the pan then added some mix and pressed down with the back of a spoon. Then take the cutter away and you will have a shapes hash brown! Using a cutter like this will give a nice uniform shape to them. (Just be careful as plastic cookie cutters melt!)
5. Cook the hash browns for 3-4 mins on each side on a medium heat, or until golden brown. Turn over and repeat for the other side.
6. Dry off any excess oil with some paper towels, tea towel or newspaper!; then serve.
I kept these warm in the oven while preparing tofu scramble and other breakfasts things.